May 08, 2011

Mother's Day.

Today is May 8th 2011. It also happens to be Mother's day, both in Denmark and in the US, but I suspect that this is not always the case. Then again, I might be wrong. Is it international? I know Father's day isn't, because here in Denmark it is always on June 5th which is also the anniversary of when our constitution was signed. I never understood why they put those two together.

When I was growing up, we would always forget mothers day, and since the stores weren't open on sundays, we would have to either go to the nearest gas station, or more likely have our Dad take us, or we would have to make something random out of nothing. Then for Father's day, we would remember 1) because we had just been reminded that this kind of holiday existed, 2) our mom would always remind us to get or make something.

I think it is a neat Holiday, because mothers need to be reminded how important and special they are, but mostly I think all the sons and daughters need to remember and acknowledge how lucky and blessed they are to have a loving mother. I have known more than one person who lost their mother way too early, and I tell you if there is one thing they can never tell you often enough, it is to remember to tell her how important and special she is, because you never know when you will get the chance to tell her again, if at all.

I dream of becoming a mother one day. Not for the flowers, chocolates or recognition this one day in May. But for the opportunity of loving someone passionately and abundantly. To form a unique bond that only exists between a Mom and her daughter or a Mom and her son. I have witnessed several pregnancies, and I want to try that to. I want to feel what it is like to have your body taken over by another person growing inside of you. Not right now. But someday... Yes, surely some day. I want to teach them all the things my parents taught me; how to ride a bike, tie my shoelace, use a knife and a fork etc. But I also want to teach them all the silly stuff like my Mom taught me; to dye my lips blue with M&M's or make faux teeth out of an orange peel. I want to teach my daughters how to sew and my boys too. I want to watch them grow and grow, and form their personalities, from crib and till I die. Hopefully after a long fulfilling life, full of love. Love for my husband, my kids and God. What is a life without love? It is a life half lived.

So there you have it, I want to get married and have babies and a house, with a craft room where I can work on all my projects and my kids can come and make whatever they want. I won't ever yell at them for being messy, because I know it is often times part of a creative process. But when the process is over, I'll be there to help clean up the mess, weather that be in their room or in their hearts. One thing I am sure of, I don't want to deal with any more heartbreak of my own.

No comments: