May 05, 2011

Cinco de Mayo and our liberation day!

Today is may 5th. That means all kinds of things in all different kinds of places. Some people may be celebrating Cinco de Mayo (I don't actually know the story behind this celebration or what happens when celebrating...?) For me and the 5.5 million other Danes it means that it has been exactly 66 years since we were liberated from the German oppressors. How do we celebrate this you ask? Well, not very loudly actually. We as a nation put flags on our busses, like we do on all other memorable days, such as our Queen's birthday, or when any one in her family have their birthday for that matter. Some people may put candle lights in their windows once it's dark. Why you ask? Well, back in the early 1940's there was a little something called WWII, during which Germany oppressed Denmark, forcing us to stay indoors after 8 pm and shutting our blinds as well. So as a symbol of the liberation from the Germans and the freedom that followed, we put candle lights in our windows, to remember and to remind ourselves of what it was like.

Sorry I didn't mean for this to turn into a history lesson.

Initially I was going to write something about a completely unrelated subject. I was riding my bike today on my way home from work. I use these small bike paths that take me through residential areas, and I usually go at a pretty good speed. Anyway, I passed this group of young guys that were just standing around (one of them had a Vespa) and I thought to myself, 'They look like they are up to no good', not like gonna destroy things and beat people up or anything like that, just like they wanted to bug the crap out of someone, and as I passed them I half expected them to comment on my fast riding (this has happened before!) Or maybe they would spit on me, I saw spit on the ground (maybe I really wasn't going all that fast). The point of the story is, I saw these guys and expected them to be trouble, so I prepared myself for the worst and I started thinking, 'So if they do spit on me, how will I react?' I want to say that I would stop and tell them that it's disrespectful and unacceptable, an not let them off the hook till they apologize. But then again, would I really? Part of me thinks I would, but the other part is not so convinced, I would probably just keep driving, and go home and write about it on my blog. But I like to think I would stand up for myself. Hopefully, I'll never have to find out.

No comments: